Announcing the “QGIS for Newbies” Quantum GIS Tutorial
The Challenge… Shade a GIS Map in 5 Steps
* What is a GIS
* How to download and install QGIS.
* How to open GIS air photos and maps in QGIS.
* How to zoom in and out, query, measure…
* How to interpret a GIS map.
* How to create your first shaded map, step-by-step.
* 3 hours of subtitled video
* Video transcripts
* Study notes
* Sample dataset
I hope you’ll join me in my simple and practical approach to teaching GIS. Just enter a name and email in the box to the side and I send you your login details.
The signup form for the “Quantum GIS for Newbies” eCourse is just to the right ->.
I have wanted to teach an online introduction to GIS (Geographical Information Systems) course for some time now. Recently there has been a technological “perfect storm” and the obstacles that stood in the way have now disappeared…
- The GIS’s I considered teaching were not user-friendly enough, were flakey, or too expensive.
- The internet was too slow for the full multi-media experience I was hoping to achieve.
- The desktop software to create the multi-media experience was not quite there.
- The computer hardware was not quite there.
- The membership website software was not quite there.
- The “cloud” was not quite there.
You can tell a lot from the shapes in a map, and air photos are not just pretty pictures!